Opa!

Monday, November 6, 2017




Opa!

At Hudson and Heart, nothing is more important than family!  We were recently blessed to have a visit from my in-laws.  My father-in-law is 87 and my mother-in-law is 86, but to see these two get around you would surely think they were in their 40’s!  We had a party for them when they arrived and also celebrated Leo’s 3rd birthday.  The house was full of family, love and the aromas of Greek cooking.  I failed to mention that my in-laws are Greek.  I married into this family almost 39 years ago.  When I describe my family, I would say Fun and passionate.  They are passionate about their family, their religion and their SPORTS!  They live in Chicago.  If you ever get a chance to go, I would suggest going to a Cubs game at Wrigley Field and going to Greek Town for some delicious food! 



My mother-in-law is a superb cook, so I was planning for sometime on what I was going to make!  I settled on Greek everything! Greek potatoes, Lemon chicken, Greek salad, garlic bread, and spanakopita.  Fortunately everything came out great!  The house was full of their sons, daughter-in-laws, grandchildren and great-children and other family members! They got to meet their newest great grandchild, Lainey, who is only 2 weeks old!  At this point they have 16 Great-grandchildren and their newest one will be here in February!
My father-in-law’s last name, which is mine too, is Christopoulos.  Both of his parents came over from Greece.  His dad came over when he was 16 (by himself) and his mother came when she was 25.  Can you imagine coming to America and not speaking a word of English! They forged through and made a wonderful life for their children.  My mother-in-law’s dad came from Greece.  He too, came by himself when he was 16.  He eventually married his wife, Ruby, from Boston.  They moved to Chicago and Gus Kyriazis, who changed his last name to Mitchell, opened two restaurants!  This is clearly why my mother-in-law is such a great cook!  We named one of our Loveys Mitchell after my mother-in-law.  We love listening to both of them telling their stories of their childhood, how they met and eventually married.  
I have included two of our recipes that are awesome! We hope that you enjoy them as much as we do!







Greek Potatoes

12 servings

Ingredients

6 lb. Yukon gold potatoes
1 C fresh or bottled lemon juice
2/3 C olive oil
5 garlic cloves, minced
2 1/2 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 (29 ounce) Can chicken broth

Peel potatoes and cut into 1/2’s or 1/3rd if they are large potatoes.  Put in cold water until the sauce is mixed.  Drain potatoes and put them in a gallon ziplock baggy.  Then pour in the sauce.  Marinate in the refrigerator for 2 hours.  Put Potatoes in casserole pan with juice on top.  Bake at 400 for 1 1/2 hours or more.  Bake until a fork slides easily into the potatoes.
Optional: Serve with lemon slices and sliced feta 

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!